Monday, September 28, 2009

It's Fall--Time to Turn a New Leaf?


I have a secret: I am a closet fabric artist. If you could see my yarn stash, my eclectic collection of knitting and crochet needles, and my ever-growing sewing-book collection, you would agree. So I decided to do something about this desire. I made a necklace. Oh, alright, I made three necklaces. And a brooch. (I was on a roll.) And, besides, I'm tired of my angels and collage ladies getting to wear nests and birds and butterflies! I want to, too!

So I approached these necklaces like mixed-media, collage pieces. Vintage jewelry, buttons, crochet accents, feathers, felt--you name it. It was like painting but with fabric! Wearable art . . . maybe I just want to be able to take my art with me . . .
The above piece is "Flutter" made up of a butterfly and blooms. I am playing around with the theme of renewal and new life with these pieces.

The cross and blooms is "Renewed Creation." See, I'm even giving these necklaces titles like paintings. :-)

And, finally, the wee brooch--a little bird nesting with her eggs. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the model. She is my neighbor, the lovely Miss R who is well . . . simply lovely!!! I am going to be listing these necklaces on Etsy. I think I am going to keep these sample necklaces as examples and offer custom orders from their designs. I'm not sure what the response will be, but I am so excited to share them with you!

7 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

Those are beautiful, the second necklace is my favourite, but all of them are gorgeous, you truly are one talented lady!!

Micki x

Nicola said...

These are very lovely pieces I really like the bird in the nest!!! I have to say I just love your header everytime I come to visit I just can't stop staring at it, she is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful. I am sure they will sell really quickly. Such wonderful gifts!

Michelle Eaton said...

They are all beautiful. How creative :)

Autumn said...

Thank you, ladies!!! I so appreciate your feedback. I felt very vulnerable about these pieces, and I went back-and-forth between loving them and thinking that I was crazy. :-) You've given me a creative boost to keep on keepin' on!

Viscountess Sheshire Kittten said...

woaw!!!! they are awesome, i love them all...

i just discover your blog via twitter, thank you to add me.....

Christine/La Viscountess

Anonymous said...

Wow. The necklaces are awesome! I don't say this often, but I don't think I'd have the patience for making something like that. And they really fit with the style of your paintings too. It's quite an accomplishment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails